Professor, Environmental Toxicology
Ph.D. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 1980
M.S. Clemson University 1976
B.S. University of South Carolina 1974
Ecotoxicology, Wildlife Toxicology and Risk Assessment
Biography of Ronald J. Kendall, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Environmental Toxicology and
The Institute of Environmental and Human Health (TIEHH)
Texas Tech University/Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Reese Center, Box 41163, Lubbock, Texas 79409-1163
Special Assistant to the President, Office of the President, Texas Tech University; Professor, Department of Environmental Toxicology, The Institute of Environmental and Human Health (TIEHH), Texas Tech University (2012-pesent)
- Founding Director of The Institute of Environmental and Human Health (TIEHH) at Texas Tech University (1997-2012); Founding Chair and Professor, Department of Environmental Toxicology, Texas Tech University (Institute Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Staff, Research Cooperators, Graduate Students – 200; 150,000 square feet Physical Plant and multi-million dollar annual budget)
- Founder and Director of The Institute of Wildlife and Environmental Toxicology (TIWET) at Clemson University (1989-1997)
- Founding Department Head (1989-1995) and Professor (1989-1997) in the Department of Environmental Toxicology at Clemson University
- Founding Director, Institute of Wildlife Toxicology, and Professor of Environmental Toxicology, Huxley College of Environmental Studies, Western Washington University (1980-1989)
- Past-President of the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC), and has served on its Board of Directors and Executive Committee, as well as being Vice-President, on the SETAC Foundation for Environmental Education Board of Directors, and was the Annual Review Editor and currently Terrestrial Toxicology Editor of the journal, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Authored more than two hundred refereed journal and technical articles, and published or edited books including, Toxic Substances in the Environment, Wildlife Toxicology, Wildlife Toxicology and Population Modeling: Integrated Studies of Agroecosystems, Principles, Principles and Processes for Evaluating Endocrine Disruption in Wildlife, A Probabilistic Aquatic Ecological Risk Assessment of Atrazine in North American Surface Waters, Perchlorate Ecotoxicology and Advances in Biological and Chemical Terrorism Countermeasures.
- Made more than 200 public and scientific presentations in the field of wildlife and environmental toxicology
- As Principal Investigator have received 142 research grants totaling more than $51 million dollars
- Graduated 34 students at the graduate level, including M.S. and Ph.D. degrees
- Authored ten courses in environmental toxicology and wildlife toxicology
- Finalist in the “Individual” category for the 2013 Texas Environmental Excellence Awards from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and Governor Rick Perry
- Received the 2010 Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Arts & Science, Texas Tech University
- Received the 2010 President’s Book Award, Texas Tech University
- As Director of The Institute of Environmental and Human Health (TIEHH), Texas Tech University, received the 2009 Texas Environmental Excellence Award in the “Education” category from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality and Governor Rick Perry
- Received the 2003 Outstanding Researcher Award, College of Arts & Sciences, Texas Tech University
- "Award of Appreciation" from United States Environmental Protection Agency for service related to Chairmanship of the EPA Scientific Advisory Panel for implementation of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act and the Food Quality Protection Act of 1996, January 2004. Served as Chairman, January 1999 to December 2002.
- Received the 1996 Alumni Research Award for outstanding faculty research at Clemson University
- Received the 1987 Paul J. and Ruth Olscamp Research Award, from Western Washington State University
- Received the Gerald H. Cross Alumni Leadership Award from Virginia Tech University, April 2010
- In 1996, addressed the United Nations Committee on Sustainable Development, United Nations, New York
- Awarded a Fulbright Fellowship in 1991
Serve as an environmental advisor to the United States Justice Department, Environmental Enforcement Section
National Board/Committee Appointments (representative past and present):
United States Environmental Protection Agency’s, Science Advisory Panel (Member 1995-December 2002. Chair January 1999 – December 2002.)
United States Environmental Protection Agency’s, Joint SAB/SAP Review on “Data from Testing of Human Subjects” served as Chairman (1998-2000)
United States Environmental Protection Agency’s, Science Advisory Board, Mercury Review Subcommittee (1997)
The National Academy of Sciences’, Ecological Risk Assessment Subcommittee, Committee on Risk Assessment Methodologies (1990-1991)
Certificate of Appreciation from the National Academies, Board of Environmental Studies and Toxicology for service on the Committee on Superfund Site Assessment and Remediation in the Coeur d'Alene River Basin, 2003-2005
The Endocrine Disruptors Screening and Testing Advisory Committee (EDSTAC) of the USEPA (1996-1998)
Board of Research Directors of the Canadian Network of Toxicology Centers for the Canadian Government (1993-1999)
Consulted with many foreign countries on environmental issues (e.g., Russia, Costa Rica, Canada, the Netherlands, France, United Kingdom, Portugal, Switzerland)
Graduated with honors from the University of South Carolina, and received his M.S. degree from Clemson University and his Ph.D. from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, and received a United States Environmental Protection Agency post-doctoral traineeship at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
KENDALL, R.J., T.E. Lacher, G.P. Cobb, S.B. Cox, editors. 2010. Wildlife Toxicology: Emerging Contaminant and Biodiversity Issues. CRC Press/Taylor and Francis Group, 321 pp.
KENDALL, R.J., S.M. Presley, G.P. Austin, and P.N. Smith, editors. 2008. Advances in Biological and Chemical Terrorism Countermeasures. Taylor and Francis/CRC Press, 280 pp.
KENDALL, R.J. and P.N. Smith, editors. 2006. Perchlorate Ecotoxicology. Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (SETAC) Press, 269 pp.
Giddings, J.M., T.A. Anderson, L.W. Hall, A.J. Hosmer, R.J. KENDALL, R.P. Richards, K.R. Solomon, and W.M. Williams. 2005 Atrazine in North American Surface Waters: A probabilistic aquatic ecological risk assessment. Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry (SETAC) Press, Pensacola, FL., 400 pp.
Tollerud, D.J., H.L. Allen, L.W. Barnthouse, C.L. Brierley, E.H. Clark, II, T.W. Clarkson, E.A.C. Crouch, A. Cullen, J. Graziano, D.L. Johnson, R.J. KENDALL, J.C. Kissel, T.W. LaPoint, D.W. Layton, C.H. Ward, S. Wood, R. Wright. 2005. Superfund and mining megasites: Lessons from the Coeur D'Alene River Basin. National Research Council of the National Academies. 484 pp.
Singh, V., KENDALL, R.J., Hake, K., Ramkumar, S. 2013. Crude oil sorption by raw cotton. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. 52(18):6277-6281.
Sata, U.R., Wilusz, E., Mlynarek, S., KENDALL, R.J., Ramkumar, S.S. 2013. Development of cotton nonwoven composite fabric for toxic chemical decontamination and characterization of its adsorption capabilities. Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics. 8 (1).
Jinka, S., Behrens, R.L., Korzeniewski, C., Singh, V., Arunachalam, A., Parameswaran, S., Coimbatore, G., KENDALL, R.J., Wolfe, R., Ramkumar, S. 2012. Atmospheric pressure plasma treatment and breathability of polypropylene nonwoven fabric. Journal of Industrial Textiles. 42(4):501-514.
Smith, E.E., Carr, J.A., Wages, M., Wang, J., Murali, S., KENDALL, R.J. 2012. Response of larval frogs to Corexit 9500. Toxicology and Environmental Chemistry. 94 (6):1199-1210.
Paden, N.E., Smith, E.E., Maul, J.D., KENDALL, RJ. 2011. Effects of chronic 2,4,6-dinitrotoluene, and 2,6-dinitrotoluene exposure on developing bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) tadpoles. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety. 74:924-928.
Abel, M.D., Cobb, G.P., Presley, S.M., Rainwater, T.R., Austin, G.P., Cox, S.B., Anderson, T.A., Leftwich, B.D., KENDALL, R.J., Ray, G.L., Suedel, B.C. 2010. Lead distribution and risks in New Orleans following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. 29(7):1429-1437.
Presley, S.M., Abel, M.T., Austin, G.P., Rainwater, T.R., Brown, R.W., McDaniel, L.N., Marsland, E.J., Fornerette, A.M., Dillard, M.L., Rigdon, R.W., KENDALL, R.J., Cobb, G.P. 2010. Metal concentrations in schoolyard soils from New Orleans, Louisiana before and after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Chemosphere. 80(1):67-73.
Abel, M.T., Suedel, B., Presley, S.M., Rainwater, T.R., Austin, G.P., Cox, S.B., McDaniel, L.N., Gigdon, R., Goebel, T., Zartman, R., Leftwich, B.D., Anderson, T.A., KENDALL, R.J., Cobb, G.P. 2010. Spatial distribution of lead concentrations in urban soils of New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. Environmental Geochemistry and Health. 32(5):379-389.
Paden, N.E., Smith, E.E., Carr. J.A., KENDALL, R.J. 2010. Expression of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) in male American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) and preliminary evaluation of the response to TNT. Chemosphere. 80(1):41-45.
Karnjanapiboonwong, A., Zhang, B., Freitag, C.M., Dobrovony, M., Salice, C.J., Smith, P.N., KENDALL, R.J., Anderson, T.A. 2009. Reproductive toxicity of nitroaromatics to the cricket, Acheta domesticus. Science of the Total Environment. 407:5046-5049.
Liu, J., Cox, S.B., Beall, B., Brunjes, K.J., Pan, X., KENDALL, R.J., Anderson, T.A., McMurry, S.T., Cobb, G.P., Smith, P.N. 2008. Effects of HMX exposure upon metabolic rate of northern bobwhite quail (Colinus virginianus) in ovo. Chemosphere 71:1945-1949.
Solomon, K., Carr, J., du Preez, L., Giesy, J., KENDALL, R.J., Smith, E.E., van der Kraak, G.2008. Effects of atrazine on fish, amphibians, and aquatic reptiles: a critical review. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 38:721-772.
Ramkumar, S.S., Love, A.H., Sata, U.R., Koester, C.J., Smith, W.J., Keating, G.A., Hobbs, L.W., Cox, S.B., Lagna, W.M., KENDALL, R.J. 2008. Next generation non-particulate dry nonwoven pad for chemical warfare agent decontamination. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research 47 (24) 9889-9895.
Paden, Norka E., Smith, Ernest, E., KENDALL, R.J. 2008. Acute toxicity of 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene, 2,4-dinitrotoluene, and 2,6-dinitrotoluene in the adult bullfrog (Lithobates catesbeiana). Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 80:487-491.
du Preez, L.H., Kunene, N., Gideon, J.E., Carr, J.A., Giesy, J.P., Gross, T.S., KENDALL, R.J., Smith, E.E., Solomon, K.R., and Van der Kraak, G.J. 2008. Reproduction, larval growth, and reproductive development in African Clawed Frogs (Xenopus laevis) exposed to atrazine. Chemosphere 71: 546-552.